Flood and Water Damage Basics
One of the most common problems homeowners face is water damage. Water damage is most often caused by plumbing failures, but flash floods, roof leaks, and many other causes could be to blame as well. If your home has suffered water damage of any kind, it is important to call a certified professional right away. If you wait, items within your home that could be saved within the first 48 hours of a loss my no longer be salvageable because water has a tendency to travel to dryer areas such as up the walls and under the sill plates.
Another important element of water mitigation is humidity control. If your home remains too humid after a water loss, even items in unaffected areas of your home could become damaged as they absorb moisture from the air. If your home stays too humid for too long, you run the risk of microbial and mold growth.
Water Damage Do’s and Don’ts
- Call us immediately.
- If it is safe to do so, stop the source of the water to contain the damage.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off the breaker in the water damaged area. You can then unplug and remove the electronic devices.
- If possible, lift the curtains and other fabrics (such as bed skirts) away from the wet carpet. Place sheets of aluminum foil under the legs of your furniture to prevent carpet stains.
- Remove any items, such as shoes, books, and fabrics that may stain wet carpet.
- Do not use your vacuum. Not only could you cause damage to your vacuum, you could also suffer from electrical shock.
- Do not place newspaper on the wet carpet. Doing so could permanently stain your carpet.
- Do not walk on the carpet any more than you absolutely have to.
- Do not wait until tomorrow or the next day to call us. The sooner you call, the more likely we can prevent permanent damage to the items in your home.
Our service restoration professionals are certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), and use state-of-the-art technology and procedures to dry out your home fast. We also take daily moisture readings to ensure all the wet materials in your home dry properly. With our rapid emergency response, you can rely on us to take care of your next water loss.